Return to Top of Page
This recipe only takes about 10 minutes to cook. It has a beautifully smooth texture which you can make thick or thin.
Note: Depending on the amount you need – increase or decrease the quantities of this recipe. To save time, you can make larger batches to store away for when needed.
What You Need:
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup cornflour / cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups water + extra for thinner paint
- 1 tablespoon salt
- food colouring or tempera paint powder
- 1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid – optional
- small sealable containers – only if storing
What To Do:
- Add plain flour, cornflour/cornstarch and salt to saucepan and only add 1/2 cup of the water. Mix into a thick paste.
- Turn on the heat (gentle heat), and add 1 cup of water to the saucepan, mixing with a whisk to combine and prevent lumps.
- Whisk continuously until paint mixture starts to thicken and then continue mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Once paint mixture is thick and smooth remove from the heat.
- Add another 1/2 cup of water (more may be needed to reach desired consistency) and mix thoroughly to combine. Allow to cool.
- Once cooled, mix in the dishwashing liquid – optional. It will give the paint a smoother consistency and a glossy finish when dry.
- Separate the paint into small containers and colour with small amounts of either food colouring or tempera. If using tempera powder add a little more water to combine.
- Once kids have had fun painting, store remainder in the refrigerator for up to a week.